While some vehicle accidents are unpreventable, too many occur as the result of reckless driving, lack of attention or failure to follow important safety laws.
If you’ve been injured in a vehicle accident, the attorneys at Dyer Law can help by reviewing your case and discussing all available legal options. Call Dyer Law toll free at 1-888-393-7529 or contact us via email. We’re ready to help with a free initial consultation. We handle car, truck and motorcycle accident claims anywhere in Nebraska, including Omaha, Lincoln, Bellevue, Grand Island, Kearney, Hastings, North Platte, Norfolk, Columbus, Scottsbluff, Ogallala and Offutt Air Force Base.
Car Accident Injuries
Car accidents happen in the blink of an eye. Speeding or inattentive motorists can quickly cause a dangerous collision with other vehicles or fixed objects. The reality is that many drivers don’t follow traffic laws, and other passengers and drivers suffer. We’ve helped victims of hit-and-run accidents recover damages from their own insurance companies, and we’ve represented many clients against drivers and insurers who refuse to admit responsibility.
In addition, drunk driving continues to play a role in vehicle accidents. At Dyer Law, we’ve seen the results of many of those crashes – including a mother struck by a drunk driver who broke her vertebrae and lost her job as a result of her injuries. We helped her recover damages necessary to care for her children and get her life back on track.
Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Motorcycle accidents often cause serious injuries. When a passenger car or truck fails to notice a motorcycle and a collision occurs, bikers simply don’t stand a chance against the larger vehicle – and often leg or foot injuries, brain trauma and spinal damage are the result. If you’ve been the victim of a motorcycle accident that resulted in injuries, we can help you receive the compensation you deserve.
Truck Accident Injuries
Trucking accidents are dangerous and common, particularly in Omaha and other areas near major interstates. Commercial tractor trailers are more difficult to maneuver than an ordinary car, even in the best of circumstances. Additionally, trucking companies and their insurance companies fight for their own best interests following an accident, so you need someone to fight for you.
Have an Experienced Traffic Accident Lawyer at Your Side
If you live or drive in Nebraska, you should take every precaution to drive safely and obey all traffic laws. However, you have little control over the actions of others – and accidents can happen despite your best efforts. If you are involved in a vehicle accident caused by another driver, you may be faced with serious medical problems requiring extensive and expensive treatment. Legal action can help you to obtain the compensation needed to pay your bills and preserve the financial security of you and your family. Injuries that cause the death of a loved one may also be grounds for a wrongful death suit.
At Dyer Law, our attorneys have extensive experience with the court system and insurance companies. We’ve represented vehicle accident victims throughout Nebraska, including Douglas, Sarpy, Cass, Buffalo, Hall, Lincoln and Lancaster Counties – and we’re ready to help you. Dyer Law offers prospective clients an initial case evaluation for FREE in person or over the phone. Contact us seven days a week by calling 1-888-393-7529 or via email.
Nebraska Alcohol-Related Traffic Accidents
In 2015, 32.6% of the fatal vehicle crashes in Nebraska involved alcohol.
- For comparison, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 10,625 fatal crashes nationally involved alcohol in 2015.
- In comparison to their contribution to all traffic accidents, drivers aged 21-34 are overrepresented in alcohol related crashes. These drivers are involved in roughly half of all alcohol related crashes.
- Drivers aged 21-24 are the most overrepresented, being involved in 21% of alcohol-related crashes but only 11.3% of all crashes.
- Of the 108,149 registered drivers between the ages of 16 and 20 in 2014, 106 were convicted of DUI and 1,066 were arrested for liquor law violations.
Contributing Circumstances to Nebraska Traffic Accidents
Of nearly 33,988 reportable traffic accidents in 2015, the most common contributing factor which could be determined was failure to yield right of way. While the cause of many accidents is never determined, the following are the top 5 driver contributing circumstances to traffic accidents in 2015.
- Failure to yield right of way: 5,471 accidents, 18 fatalities.
- Followed too closely: 4,504 accidents, 3 fatalities.
- Inattention: 3,537 accidents, 8 fatalities.
- Operating in an erratic manner: 2,532 accidents, 36 fatalities.
- Disregarded traffic controls: 1,895 accidents, 14 fatalities.
Leaving one’s lane, failing to yield the right-of-way, and operating in an erratic manner were the contributing circumstances most likely to lead to a fatal crash in 2015.
Nebraska Vehicle Accident Statistics — 2015
- The 2015 death rate for vehicle accidents in Nebraska was 1.2 persons killed per 100 million miles, an increase in fatal crashes from the previous year.
- The total number of fatal crashes was 218.
- Douglas County, with 48 traffic fatalities, and Lancaster County, with 21 fatalities, reported the highest numbers of traffic-related deaths. Douglas and Lancaster Counties are also the most densely populated areas of the state.
- Of almost 33,988 vehicle crashes which occurred in 2015, 21,121 involved property damage only.
- Just under 11,650 injuries due to vehicle accidents occurred in 2015.
- In 2015, a crash occurred in Nebraska an average of every 16 minutes. on average, forty-six persons were injured each day.
- One person was killed every 36 hours.
- Alcohol was involved in 32.6% all fatal crashes.
Nebraska Vehicle Accidents Trends and Patterns
RECENT TRENDS IN VEHICLE ACCIDENTS
Both the number of vehicle accidents and number of fatal crashes in Nebraska have declined steadily over the last decade. The Nebraska Department of Roads attributes the decline to improvements in vehicle design, roadway engineering, emergency medical services, specific safety programs, enforcement and improved driver awareness.
TRAFFIC CRASH PATTERNS
- Most crashes occurred on local roads – the interstate actually has the lowest crash rate of any roadway category.
- Interestingly, vehicle accidents show distinct patterns in time and date. Crashes tend to increase during the late fall and winter as weather conditions worsen. There is also a daily crash pattern, climbing from a low number of crashes in the early morning hours to a peak in the late afternoon.
- Fatal crashes occurred most commonly during the 3pm-6pm and 6pm-9pm time periods.
- Unsurprisingly, young drivers are involved in disproportionately more crashes in Nebraska. Just under half of the drivers involved in crashes in 2015 were age 34 or younger.
- Drivers in the youngest age bracket which was tracked, ages 15 to 24, had the highest percentage involvement of all age groups in both all crashes (27.8%) and fatal crashes (22.8%) during 2015.
Statistics from the State of Nebraska 2015 Traffic Crash Facts Annual Report.
THE ULTIMATE GUIDES
Dyer Law attorneys have authored two books to provide you helpful information when you are involved in an accident or workers’ compensation situation. Both are available free from Dyer Law.